F22 What Liberal Democrats Believe
By Liberal Democrats
Originally published by UK Liberal Democrats
As Liberal Democrats, we believe in an equal, open, green society in which everybody has the chance to succeed. Whether giving power to local governments to lead the communities that they know best or fighting for a Britain that steps up to its international obligations, we want the UK to represent the people who live here - not just a small group of Westminster politicians and elites.
I'm proud that we affirmed these beliefs at conference today. As Liberal Democrats we are committed to:
- Liberty. Individuals have the right to make their own decisions as long as it causes no harm to others
- Equality. We cannot have true liberty without equality. This includes equality in education and access to public services, a welfare state safety net, equality before the law and opposition to all forms of discrimination
- Democracy. Citizens are empowered to make their voices heard and checks and balances exist for those in power.
- Community. We support a diverse range of organisations which encourage individuals to come together in pursuit of common goals and ideas.
- Internationalism. We want to promote a fairer, more tolerant and connected world through collaboration with other nations- including, ultimately in rejoining the EU- to guarantee peace and security. We believe this approach is the best way to tackle the climate change emergency, stand up to powerful multinational corporations and promote international prosperity.
- Environmentalism: Promoting a sustainable way of producing and consuming in society in harmony with nature.
These above principles are the fundamental beliefs for us as Liberal Democrats. You can read more at the link below:
These principles will create a fairer society and system of government which benefits every individual within it.